The IRSN is the public expert in research and expertise on nuclear and radiological risks
Expertise, research, protect, anticipate, share, these are the missions of IRSN at the service of public authorities and the population. The uniqueness of the Institute lies in its ability to bring together researchers and experts to anticipate future questions on the evolution and control of nuclear and radiological risks. The women and men of IRSN are keen to make their work known and share their knowledge with society. They thus contribute to improving access to information and dialogue with stakeholders. The Institute contributes to public policies in nuclear safety and security, health, environment and crisis management.
Decree No. 2016-283 of March 10, 2016 entrusts IRSN with expertise and research missions in the following areas:
- nuclear safety;
- the safety of transport of radioactive and fissile materials;
- the protection of humans and the environment against ionizing radiation;
- the protection and control of nuclear materials;
- the protection of nuclear installations and the transport of radioactive and fissile materials against malicious acts.
As part of its missions, the Institute for Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety:
- carries out expertise, research and work, in particular analyses, measurements or dosages, for public or private organizations, French or foreign;
- defines research programs, carried out within it or entrusted to other French or foreign research organizations, with a view to maintaining and developing the knowledge and skills necessary for expertise in its fields of activity;
- contributes to radiation protection training for health professionals and professionally exposed people;
- provides technical support to the Nuclear Safety Authority, the delegate for nuclear safety and radiation protection for installations and activities of interest to defense and to State authorities and services which request it;
- proposes to the Nuclear Safety Authority, the delegate for nuclear safety and radiation protection for installations and activities of interest to defense, in the event of an incident or accident involving sources of ionizing radiation, technical measures , health and medical measures to ensure the protection of the population, workers and the environment and to restore the safety of installations.
- In such circumstances, the IRSN also provides, as necessary, technical support to other State authorities concerned;
- participates in permanent monitoring of radiation protection, in particular by contributing to radiological monitoring of the environment and by ensuring the management and use of dosimetric data concerning workers exposed to ionizing radiation;
- ensures management of the inventory of ionizing radiation sources;
- ensures centralized accounting of nuclear materials for the State authorities responsible for the protection and control of nuclear materials not allocated to the means necessary for the implementation of the deterrence policy and for the State authorities responsible for agreements international cooperation and nuclear non-proliferation agreements;
- provides technical assistance to State authorities responsible for the protection and control of nuclear materials, their installations and their transport as well as the prohibition of chemical weapons.